Sunday, August 28, 2005

Dear Editor...

I rolled out of bed today, made coffee and opened the paper and Behold! The following stupidity:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Full article here.

I mean come on, why can't some people simply admit they are poor at being parents and stop blaming others? So anyway, I'm writing the following rebuttal, any input is appreciated before I mail it off tomorrow.

Dear Editor,

I write in protest of CONCERNED PARENT’s letter titled ‘Cyber cafés a bad influence’ which appeared on your sheets on Sunday August 28, 2005.

I find it most contemptuous that people would rather blame the failures of their children on others rather than on their own lack of parenting finesse.

As a recent college graduate, I must admit that I too enjoyed cyber games and was a patron of cyber cafes during the day. I admit I, along with my peers, have on occasion stayed up till the early morning indulging in what is basically a more animated and immersive version of chess. But I didn’t fail college, nor do I have a record of being involved in violent altercations, which CONCERNED PARENT would allege patronising Cyber Cafés causes.

Having said that, I concede that we face a serious attention deficit problem where some students would rather focus on other activities instead of their studies. However, it is irrational to squarely blame cyber cafes for this social problem. After all, the student could have easily been addicted to other activities such as Basketball, X-skating or Football and become as negligent in his studies.

I urge everybody, especially parents who are facing such issues with their children to slow down with the assigning of blame and take a long hard look at their situation. Consider that maybe the course they made their children take is of no interest to their children or their children simply aren’t academically inclined and may do better pursuing a different path in life. Or as harsh as it may sound, it may simply have something to do with their upbringing.

Thank you.

Yours truly,
Nicholas C

Also if any of you out there feel as strongly as I do on this issue, please write your say to The Editor. Details Here. Please act now before they start thinking about banning CyberCafes also.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Viceice. :P Well, that's a rather interesting article. I find more offense with the old fashioned thinking that courting and smoking and drinking is wrong. COURTING. Who on Earth uses that word??? And you might want to comment about that last paragraph of theirs. I find it utterly insulting. I'm sure the parents of the students from overseas or out-of-town are fully aware of the "problem of cyber cafes" and all that and possibly know about their son's/daughter's fondness of games or the Internet. Old-fashioned geezers, these "Concerned Parents".

Another thing, it's not conclusive violent games (whether online or XBox or PS) directly influence their players into becoming more violent! What these parents probably thought or read was about Grand Auto Theft being pulled from the shelves for being SEXUAL, not violent. Morons. (Sorry)

Ah...there's my $0.02.
Izzy J.

Sunday, August 28, 2005 5:40:00 PM  
Blogger The Unladen Swallow said...

Half and half. Blame the individual for not having a proper level of self-control.

You probably can't blame CONCERNED PARENT to lambast like Cindy Sheehan would, considering that the guy was MIA for a couple of days. I know my parents would throw a bloody big fit if I didn't tell them that I was going to roam the outsides for > 24 hours.

Unless its New Years Day. There's always an exception, but I do tell them first.


Moral of the story? You Joes don't give your parents/government a reason to fuck up what you consider eh, valuable.


Peace, and out.
Patrick.

Sunday, August 28, 2005 6:30:00 PM  
Blogger Naoko said...

Your letter is extremely flame-ish sounding. Back it up with facts, if you can. As it stands, it sounds like your letter is simply a flaming letter.

Maybe I'll write in as the daughter of a former CC owner asking these parents to back up their statements, and come up with my own. These idiocy must stop.

Sunday, August 28, 2005 8:35:00 PM  
Blogger Ivan said...

Rara! I think I wrote one before but never sent it. Somewhere along the same lines, just a lot less mature sounding.

And I totally agree with you! Cybercafes in a way provide a place for students to whittle away their time. It be THEIR choice. Banning cybercafes has been the topic for ages now.

I feel without them, we'd have a lot more fuckups like that whatchamacallit saying, "idle hands are the devils playthings" or whatever. IMAGINE WHAT PEOPLE would do without cyber-cafes? STUDYING? OMFGAWD please haha. Some people are really naive.

They'd be clubbing, smokin' joints, stealing road signs, raping, looting 7 elevens, burning stray animals in overly large bonfires.

IF THERES A VICE, there'll be victims.

KEEP up the good fight! Personally I haven't been to a cafe in 2 years, its all DOTA nowadays and I'm just too "out" to start training for it now haha.

Monday, August 29, 2005 12:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home