Sunday, January 22, 2006

Malaysian Politics Making Me Sick


The political climate in Malaysia is making me sick. Day by day, I log on to read the news back home and each time I’m greeted by nothing but doom and gloom.

Seriously, the raid at Paul’s Place, and the media’s skewed coverage, to the Squatgate scandal and the dual controversies in Law over Conversions and Islamic Family law and woman’s rights is enough to make anybody nauseous.

I ask, what in Gods name is going on in Malaysia? Don’t answer that, it was rhetorical.

Anyway, the other day when I meet up with Sarah, we got talking over coffee and thru conversation this sort of hit me.

I’ve been quite unsure of what I want to do with my life. For sure, I grew up with a lot of ideals. Some of those ideals were fantastic, others were monumentally daunting.

The fantastic I guess is living the Asian Dream; graduating, getting a PR, get a fun job that pays loads of money and along the way find love and live a happy life.

The daunting… well… I’m Idealistic. It’s the part of me that shows himself here more then anywhere else. The patriot, the crusader, the dreamer… The one who feels at times that the world around me is going to the dogs and something must be done. The part of me that feels we simply cannot go on like this, all this injustice, all this misunderstanding, all this pointless holier-than-thou-ness. It cannot be the legacy we leave behind.

Somebody one quipped that the waiting is the hardest, the uncertainty; but that making the decisions is about just as hard.

What do I want to do next? After I graduate… Do I stay here, file the paper work and with a bit of luck work and live here for the years to come? Or do I make a wager with my life; go home, align with a cause and devote my life towards fighting for what I believe is right?

I’m not a gambling person by nature. I hate taking blind risks and to be sure, the other half of me wants to live a quiet and peaceful life as well… but I can’t help but wonder if my happiness will only be at the expense of those less fortunate and those to whom we leave our legacy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home