Friday, November 11, 2005

My New Toy!


Introducing my new toy:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yes, that’s a Nikon D70s digital SLR :D I actually got it the day before I left for Penang, but since I left it in KL, I didn’t get to play with it until now.

Anyway, having had the chance to use it yesterday at drinks/dinner with Adrian, Suen and Lilo, I must say I’m simply amazed at the camera.

Digital cameras didn’t quite impress me before, since up till now, the only digital cameras I ever had the chance to use were consumer grade ones that were just point and click. Not that impressive. But with the SLR is different. A digital SLR is a traditional photographer’s wet dream.

With this simple replacement of film with a microchip, the things that used to take hours, tones of money and a full photo lab to do is suddenly compacted into a neat little package.

For instance, back in the day, when you wanted to try out different film speeds (i.e ASA 100, 400, 1000), you had to spend loads of money buying film and developing it. In fact photographers used to walk around with 2 or even 3 cameras because each camera had a diffrent speed of film in it. Add to that, faster films like ASA1000 were so volatile that it required refrigeration when stored and had a very limited shelf life. With Digital SLRs, changing film speed (200-1600 on the Nikon) is as simple as 3 pushes of a button.

And then, say you are out experimenting with your camera. To learn from your pictures you had to carefully take detailed notes of things like Aperture, Shutter speed, lighting conditions, time etc with a notepad for you to look at after your photos are developed. Now, all of that and more is automatically recorded for you and tagged along with the instantly appearing photo. Whats more, a histograph is generated for you to tell you if your picture is over or under exposed and the over exposed areas are highlighted by the camera's display!

Anyway, I could go on and on.. but I’m sure you all would rather see some pics… I haven’t had the chance to fully explore the camera’s capabilities, but here are some quick shots.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Suen and Lilo

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Buns taken by Lilo

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Nightshot of Cyberia, ASA1600 0.5sec

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet camera, nicely taken pictures.

I admit my eyes glazed over slightly at the technical terms (I'm an owner of one of those lazy digital cameras you just point and click) but I was psyched at how psyched you were. :D

Congrats, baby! Seems like you got something else to love which can actually give you physical comfort! :D

Friday, November 11, 2005 7:41:00 PM  
Blogger Naoko said...

I'm terrified by several things:

1. You have the type of camera that you like.

2. That I actually UNDERSTOOD most of the terms you used.

3. You have a DIGITAL CAMERA that you like.

4. Your skills seem to have improved.

5. When you add factors 1&3 and remember that in school you were limited by shots and that you loved taking candid shots, and now that you have a digi cam you're not THAT limited...

I am terrified. Izzy, watch out if he takes the cam with him to Aussie. :p

Friday, November 11, 2005 9:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home